Dense pine forests go all the way down to the sandy beaches, adding a unique emerald tone to the waters. Look out for the Mediterranean monk seal (Monachus monachus) as the Sporades waters are its habitat. Excluding the area of Skiathos and Skopelos Islands, the rest is included in the National Marine Park of Northern Sporades as it hosts a large population of the above species, particularly in the sea caves around Alonnisos Island where they reproduce. If you sail in the area look out for the seals and their endless games.
Try the renowned local pies and if you’re into fresh fish and seafood, taste the delicious fish dishes served in any traditional taverna.The weather in Sporades is calm throughout the year. Summers are sunny and hot, yet local Meltemia (northerly winds) blow in July and August, moderating heat and swelling the sails. Deep blue sea, small sheltered inlets, and countless beaches – some of them only accessible from the sea: the Sporades Islands provide the setting for a truly memorable holiday!
Sailing north, it is worth visiting the coast of northern Greece. You will find that the biggest marinas are in Aretsou, Thessaloniki, in Porto Sani and in Porto Carras at Halkidiki peninsula. From there you can explore Halkidiki’s gorgeous beaches and enjoy a swim in the deep, indigo waters at a distance from the crowded beaches of the big resorts. You will be impressed by the lush greenery that ends on the beach and the breath taking view of Mount Athos.
Must-see, do & taste
- The protected aquatic reserve in lake Strofilia
- The colossal white rocks at Lalaria
- Lovely Koukounaries beach
- The ruins of ancient Roman baths at Loutraki
- Swim in the crystal-clear blue waters
- The renowned homemade pies and sweets
- Hand-made pottery and wood-carved artifacts
- Achilli bay, Achilles' point of departure for Troy
- Swim in the unique secluded beaches
- The tasty local specialities of stuffed squid and fried figs with honey
- The Alonnisos National Marine Park where you may hear or even spot Monachus monachus, the Mediterranean monk seal